With every step, stride, or jump, your ankles take something of a beating. This is especially true for joggers, runners, and other athletes.
Ankles and their surrounding muscles surrounding them are under constant stress with impacts, pressure, and movements that make ankles particularly prone to painful and debilitating injuries.
If you want to reduce the chances of suffering an ankle injury or if you need to manage any ankle pain or discomfort you already have, stretching your ankles is a great way to do it.
Better still, these at-home stretches are easy and take very little of your time.
Here are some quick and simple ankle stretches that can keep you in stride:
The Towel / Rope / Belt Stretch
- Find a rope, towel, belt, or other household object that has limited elasticity.
- With both legs stretched out in front of you, sit in a comfortable place with your back as straight as possible.
- Place the object across your foot and gently pull your foot towards your torso, only using your arm muscles.
- Hold steady for 30 seconds, and then do this stretch five times on each foot every day.
The Bent Knee Wall Stretch
- Lean against a solid wall with your arms outstretched.
- Move one foot forward while keeping the other back.
- Then, slightly bend your back knee until you can feel the stretch in the back of that calf.
- Hold for 30 seconds and do three sets of 10, three times a day.
The Standing Calf Stretch
- Place one of your feet at a 45-degree angle against a wall, keeping the other foot firmly planted on the ground.
- Lean into the wall until you start to feel the stretch in your lower calf.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds.
- Repeat three times per set, twice a day.
The Toe Extension Stretch
- Gently grab your toes and pull them upwards towards your body.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds.
- Repeat this stretch three times per set, doing one set per session, and two sessions per day.
JAWS Podiatry – Your Partners in Foot and Ankle Health
The stretches listed above are effective ways to minimize the chances of injury as well as any pain you are experiencing.
You can also keep your ankles and feet healthy by partnering with the specialists at JAWS Podiatry.
We use the most advanced and effective techniques to reduce pain, speed recovery, and improve performance for individuals dealing with foot and ankle problems.
If you’d like to learn more about our innovative and effective treatments or how we can help you with your foot and ankle concerns, please call us at (954) 922-7333 or contact us online to schedule a virtual or in-person consultation today!
- The Life-Changing Power of Cosmetic Foot Surgery - February 27, 2023
- What Are The Most Common Pediatric Foot Conditions? - October 5, 2020
- 4 Important Things To Know Before Having Foot Surgery - September 21, 2020