If you have a bunion, you no doubt want relief from the pain, discomfort, and unsightliness caused by this common condition. But you probably don’t want to undergo surgery to fix the problem if non-surgical or minimally invasive alternatives could do the job.
At JAWSpodiatry, we know that nobody wants to undergo surgery if they don’t have to. That is why we always explore non-surgical treatment options if we believe they can provide our patients with an effective solution to their foot and ankle issues. Fortunately, there are several minimally invasive alternatives to bunion surgery that can help many of our patients living with bunion pain.
For many patients, we can provide effective and lasting relief from bunion pain with non-surgical treatments and lifestyle changes, including:
- Loose or open shoes. When you confine your foot to a tight-fitting or narrow shoe, it can increase bunion pain. Overly restrictive footwear or high heels push the toes forward, causing pressure and friction. Switch to open-toed or looser fitting shoes whenever possible and try to select shoes made of leather rather than synthetic materials.
- Icing. Applying cold helps constrict blood vessels and reduce inflammation, which is the source of much of your bunion pain. Use an icepack or even a bag of frozen peas in a washcloth and apply it to the toe joint for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Anti-inflammatory medications. To further minimize swelling and reduce pain, pick up some over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen. For severe bunions, a cortisone injection directly to the joint can be a more powerful way to reduce inflammation.
- Protective pads. Insert a gel or moleskin pad into your shoes to cushion the bunion and protect it from friction.
- Orthotics. Molded shoe inserts that you can buy at your local pharmacy can help correct the mechanics that cause a bunion to form. Custom orthotics made specifically for your feet may be the next step if OTC products don’t work.
Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery
If the more conservative treatments described above don’t provide the desired relief, we can then consider minimally invasive bunion surgery as an alternative to traditional surgical techniques.
Those techniques typically involve large incisions, extensive dissection inside the foot, and internal devices such as pins and screws. Such procedures often come with significant recovery time, pain and discomfort, risk of infection or complications, and the disruption of soft tissue.
Minimally invasive bunion surgery, on the other hand, reduces or eliminates many of the unwelcome aspects of traditional surgery. We use specially designed surgical instruments and devices, along with an advanced imaging system called a fluoroscope, to see inside the effected area without needing to make large incisions. Our surgeons perform their procedures on an outpatient basis in our state-of-the-art, comfortable, in-office surgical suite and are widely recognized as leaders in minimally invasive foot and ankle surgery
Living With Bunion Pain? Schedule an Appointment With JAWSpodiatry Today
At JAWSpodiatry in Hollywood, Florida, we utilize the most advanced and non-invasive techniques to reduce pain and speed recovery for individuals suffering from foot and ankle problems, including bunions. If you’d like to learn more about the innovative and effective treatments we provide or how we can help you with your foot and ankle issues, please call us today at (954) 922-7333 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.